During the first week of June, 11 rising 5th graders participated in Habersham County’s second annual Farm+Food Camp! Farm+Food Camp is co-hosted by Northeast Georgia Farm to School and Habersham County 4-H. Campers spent the week touring farms, gardens, and other food production facilities. They also learned about where our food comes from, the the many steps it takes to get food to our plates, and the benefits of eating fresh, local agricultural products.
The 2016 Farm+Food Camp would not have been possible without the support of community members, and without the generosity of our hosts each day. 2016 hosts include:
- Greenway Community Garden
- Habersham County Farm Bureau Women’s Committee
- Cornelia Ingles Market
- Garnett and Jean Hulsey
- Glory Seeds (Rabun)
- Teaching Kitchen of the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia (Rabun)
- Chattooga Belle Farm (Long Creek, SC)
- Sylvan Falls Mill (Rabun)
- Mountain Fresh Creamery (Hall)
Thank you, thank you, thank you to our hosts for providing Habersham County students with the invaluable opportunity to grow an understanding of and appreciation for our local food system.
Photos of the farms, food, and fun can be found here.